Friday 17 October 2008

It's a sorry situation tonight folks...

It's Friday night, and I've had a fab time listening to Pat Brand's melodious voice on the Teeline audio tracks.

I am such a sad Moomin. Whatever happened to the Moomins by the way? They were mint!

Yes people. I have STAYED IN tonight. I too was shocked.

But my reasoning is: I am teaching tomorrow which is no fun when you're wrecked.

That's my job. Pretty sweet. Ive danced since I was three and when I was 15 started training for my teaching qualifications, all of which I passed a couple of years ago.

So every Saturday I teach kids ranging in age from two and a half to 11 years old (best birth control ever...I come away thinking I am never going to be able to cope with stuff like that full time).

I love it. Dancing is such a pivotal part of my life, teaching doesn't even feel like a job. Plus I get to work with some of my closest friends. We have so much fun. But try explaining a broken down shuffle to a little tot who doesnt even look like she's been out of nappies that long. Cute but trying.

I always have a sleep after teaching because it's mental. It's a cross between being a kids TV presenter (you have to be happy and upbeat all the time), and how I imagine an LSD trip to be.

For example: with the baby class we pretend to paint rainbows after the rain clouds have gone. This is all to twiddly classical piano music. Sometimes me and the other teachers catch ourselves and just go oh my god. This is how we spend our Saturdays. This is mint!

The little girls are adorable, decked out in their finest fairy outfits. The job is so uplifting, because the pure joyful innocence when they're pretending to be fairy princesses and stuff (I cast aside my qualms about gender stereotyping) is just beautiful to watch.

They completely lose themselves in the stories we tell them and the parents love seeing how caught up they get in it. In fact, sometimes, if we do scary stuff like Jack Frost icicle fingers some of the babies freak out and cry! Oops.

Can't wait actually. teaching always cheers me up. And the words 'credit' and 'crunch' are never mentioned. Bliss.

And tomorrow night, I'm out on the tiles with my girls for a much needed night of decadent debauchery. Again, for this purpose, the 'r' word does not exist. But Sambuca and Tequila do! Sweeeeet!

er, bye

No comments: